In this course, participants will explore actions they can take to help support the physical and psychological safety of children and families who have experienced child trauma and child traumatic stress. They will also explore strategies for addressing secondary traumatic stress that can impact helping professionals.
Topics and Learning Objectives
Identifying Trauma Related Needs of Children and Families
• Explain the importance of referring children with traumatic stress reactions for a thorough trauma assessment and trauma-specific mental health services.
• Explain how to use trauma screening to identify trauma-related needs of children and families and make appropriate referrals
Enhancing Child Well-Being and Resilience
• Identify strategies for enhancing family well-being and resilience through trauma education and
support to birth and resource families
• Enhancing the Well-being and Resilience of Professionals Working in the Service Delivery System
• Identify when staff are impacted by secondary traumatic stress
• Identify coping strategies for staff impacted by secondary traumatic stress
Partner with Youth, Families, and Other agencies
• Explain the importance of partnering with youth, families, and other services providers to support trauma-exposed children
• Identify strategies for building these partnerships